What to eat on weekends and light training days?
Light days can be considered when you decide to do less than an hour of intense exercise or take a break. James Collins, a nutritionist for Britain’s top athletes, recommends focusing on muscle recovery these days.
Low carb basis, high protein
Since energy consumption is low on easy workout days, you should reduce your carbohydrate intake: just limit yourself to one carbohydrate diet per day (iftar or lunch).
Active muscle recovery lasts up to 24 hours after strenuous exercise. When you cut down on carbs, you can get more protein this way.
Polyunsaturated fats are also needed for muscle recovery. And to prevent oxidation by free radicals, which are created during excessive exercise, it is recommended to include plant foods rich in antioxidants in your diet:
- berries (cranberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- all kinds of cabbage
Best of all: On light days of exercise and rest, you can experiment with new foods and recipes on the treadmill or in the gym without fear of gastrointestinal problems.
Separately, it should be noted that many professional athletes prefer to do a light workout before breakfast, such as about half an hour of running. Due to hunger, muscles adapt better to the load. In addition, more fat is consumed on an empty stomach than glycogen – a bonus for those who want to lose weight.
Approximate list of dishes for rest days and easy exercise
- Omelet with tomatoes and cheese. You can also add onions, peppers or herbs and taste different types of cheese
- Chicken breast with vegetables and cheese. Quinoa or millet goes well as an addition
- Beef stew, carrots, onions, tomatoes, dried apricots. Roast all the products for a few minutes, add the chickpeas, pour water over them and simmer on low heat for about an hour. You can also add rice or couscous
- Salad of green lentils, quinoa, cucumber, cheese. Season with wine vinegar and olive oil and season with tarragon
- Spicy fried mackerel. Use cumin, garlic, ginger, mustard and cinnamon as spices. Sprinkle the fish with spices and leave for a few hours. And then fry. The fish is well complemented with rice and carrots
- Baked salmon. Mix lemon juice, tarragon, garlic and salmon fillet soak in the resulting marinade for 10 minutes. Then wrap the fillet in foil and bake in the oven. Couscous is perfect for decoration
- Grilled vegetables: peppers, eggplants, zucchini, onions
- Chicken soup with mushrooms. Add onion and egg or miso pasta and tofu
- A handful of nuts or seeds
- Hummus with vegetables
- Salmon skewers marinated in spicy sauce
Light days can be considered when you decide to do less than an hour of intense exercise or take a break. James Collins, a nutritionist for Britain’s top athletes, recommends focusing on muscle recovery these days. Low carb basis, high protein Since energy consumption is low on easy workout days, you should reduce your carbohydrate…